Table of Contents
Uninstalling apps is a common task for Windows 11 users, whether it’s to free up disk space, remove unused software, or troubleshoot problems. Microsoft Store is the official app store for Windows 11, where users can download and install various applications. However, sometimes you may need to uninstall apps from the Microsoft Store as well. In this blog post, we will discuss different methods to uninstall apps on Microsoft Store Windows 11, along with their pros and cons.
Why You Need to Uninstall Apps on Microsoft Store Windows 11
There are several reasons why you may need to uninstall apps from the Microsoft Store on Windows 11. Here are a few common scenarios:
- You want to free up disk space.
- You no longer use a particular app and want to remove it to declutter your system.
- The app is causing issues or conflicts with other software, and you need to uninstall it for troubleshooting purposes.
- You want to switch to an alternative app and need to uninstall the existing one.
Now, let’s dive into the different methods to uninstall apps on Microsoft Store Windows 11.
Part 1. Uninstall Apps Using the Start Menu
Uninstalling apps using the Start Menu is one of the simplest methods in Windows 11. Follow the steps below to uninstall an app:
1. Open the Start Menu by clicking on the Windows icon in the taskbar.
2. Locate the app you want to uninstall in the list of installed apps.
3. Right-click on the app’s icon and select "Uninstall" from the context menu.
4. A confirmation prompt will appear. Click "Uninstall" again to confirm the action.
5. Windows 11 will uninstall the app, and once the process is complete, it will be removed from your system.
|1. Simple and straightforward process.
|1. Some apps may not appear in the Start Menu, requiring alternative methods to uninstall.
|2. Works for most apps installed from the Microsoft Store.
|2. May not be available for apps installed from other sources.
|3. Quick way to uninstall multiple apps.
|3. Does not provide options for advanced uninstallation configurations.
Part 2. Uninstall Apps Using Settings
Another method to uninstall apps on Microsoft Store Windows 11 is through the Settings app. This method allows for more advanced configuration options during the uninstallation process. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Open the Settings app by pressing the Windows key + I or using the Start Menu.
2. Click on "Apps" in the Settings menu.
3. In the Apps & features section, you will see a list of installed apps.
4. Scroll through the list or use the search bar to find the app you want to uninstall.
5. Click on the app and select "Uninstall" from the options that appear.
6. Follow the prompts to confirm the uninstallation.
|1. Provides more control over the uninstallation process.
|1. May require navigating through multiple settings menus.
|2. Allows you to view the app’s storage usage before uninstalling.
|2. May not be available for all installed apps.
|3. Offers the ability to reset apps or repair their installations, if available.
|3. Requires more steps compared to the Start Menu method.
Part 3. Uninstall Apps Using the Microsoft Store App
If you prefer using the Microsoft Store app itself to uninstall apps, this method is for you. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Open the Microsoft Store app from the Start Menu or taskbar.
2. Click on your profile picture or icon in the top-right corner of the Microsoft Store window.
3. From the drop-down menu, select "My Library."
4. You will see a list of all the apps you have installed from the Microsoft Store.
5. Locate the app you want to uninstall and click on the three-dotted menu button next to it.
6. Select "Uninstall" from the options that appear, and follow the prompts to confirm the action.
|1. Directly accessible from the Microsoft Store app.
|1. Only applicable to apps installed from the Microsoft Store.
|2. Provides a centralized view of all your installed Microsoft Store apps.
|2. Does not offer advanced uninstallation options.
|3. Can be useful if you want to manage and uninstall multiple Microsoft Store apps.
|3. May require navigating through multiple menus to find the uninstall option.
Part 4. Uninstall Apps Using PowerShell
PowerShell is a powerful command-line tool in Windows that allows for advanced system management tasks, including uninstalling apps. Here’s how you can uninstall apps using PowerShell:
1. Open PowerShell with administrative privileges by right-clicking on the Start Menu and selecting "Windows PowerShell (Admin)."
2. In the PowerShell window, type the following command to list all installed apps:
3. Scroll through the list of installed app packages to find the one you want to uninstall.
4. To uninstall the app, type the following command:
5. Press Enter to execute the command, and the app will be uninstalled.
|1. Provides more control and flexibility for advanced users.
|1. Requires familiarity with PowerShell commands.
|2. Allows you to uninstall apps not listed in the Start Menu or Settings.
|2. Mistakenly uninstalling essential system apps can cause issues.
|3. Can be used to uninstall built-in system apps that cannot be removed by other methods.
|3. Not recommended for novice users.
What to Do If You Can’t Uninstall Apps on Microsoft Store Windows 11
If you encounter difficulties uninstalling apps on Microsoft Store Windows 11, there are a few alternative solutions you can try:
1. Use third-party uninstaller software: There are several third-party uninstaller software available that can help you remove stubborn apps, track leftover files, and clean up your system.
2. Reinstall the app before uninstalling: Sometimes, reinstalling the app can fix issues that prevent it from being uninstalled. After reinstalling, try uninstalling the app again.
3. Use system restore: If the app was installed recently and you can’t uninstall it through regular methods, you can use the System Restore feature to revert your system to a previous state before the app was installed.
Here are a few bonus tips to enhance your app uninstallation experience on Microsoft Store Windows 11:
1. Keep your system updated: Regularly updating your Windows 11 operating system ensures you have the latest bug fixes and improvements that can prevent issues with app uninstallation.
2. Check for app-specific uninstallation instructions: Some apps may have specific uninstallation instructions provided by the developer. It’s a good idea to check the app’s official documentation or support website for any special uninstallation steps.
3. Use app settings to back up important data: Before uninstalling an app, check if it has any built-in options to backup or export your important data. This way, you can save your settings or files for future use, even if you reinstall the app later on.
The Bottom Line
Uninstalling apps on Microsoft Store Windows 11 is a straightforward process with multiple methods available. Whether you prefer using the Start Menu, Settings app, Microsoft Store app, or PowerShell, you can easily remove unnecessary or problematic apps from your system. If you encounter issues, try alternative solutions like third-party uninstaller software or reinstalling the app before uninstalling it.
5 FAQs about Uninstalling Apps on Microsoft Store Windows 11
Q1: Can I reinstall an app after uninstalling it?
A: Yes, you can reinstall an app after uninstalling it from the Microsoft Store. Simply visit the Microsoft Store, search for the app, and click on the "Install" button to reinstall it.
Q2: Will uninstalling an app remove all its associated files and settings?
A: Uninstalling an app from Microsoft Store Windows 11 will remove most of its associated files and settings. However, some apps may leave behind residual files or settings in certain cases. Using third-party uninstaller software can help you track and remove these leftover files.
Q3: Can I reinstall a built-in system app that I uninstalled?
A: While it is generally not recommended to uninstall built-in system apps, certain apps can be reinstalled using PowerShell commands or system restore. It’s essential to exercise caution when manipulating built-in system apps to avoid any unintended consequences.
Q4: Can I reinstall apps that I purchased from the Microsoft Store?
A: Yes, you can reinstall apps that you purchased from the Microsoft Store without any additional charges. Simply search for the app in the Microsoft Store and click on the "Install" button to reinstall it.
Q5: Will uninstalling apps from the Microsoft Store affect my data?
A: Uninstalling apps from the Microsoft Store will remove the app and its associated files, but it should not affect your personal data. However, it is always recommended to back up important files or data before uninstalling any apps, just to be safe.